Sunday, October 16, 2005

For the Shrimp, Pasta & Wine Lover In Me


I've been thinking of pasta and shrimp in garlic sauce all week, so this evening I experimented a bit and made it happen. I didn't follow a particular recipe, per se. I pretty much winged it, relying on my memories of a couple of cooking programme demonstrations.


The sauce didn't turn out quite as well as I had hoped, but I'm proud to say that this dish was quite flavourful, indeed. I didn't overcook the shrimp and the pasta was al dente for a change, though for some reason it appears a bit limp in the photo. While I pondered what type of sauce I would use for the semi-fresh fettuccine I bought earlier today (haven't graduated to homemade pasta yet), something told me to use cream. Sad thing is, I had allowed myself to become so famished that by the time I finished cleaning the shrimp I was in such a hurry to get everything else done, I forgot.


Fettuccine and shrimp in garlic butter sauce
This was simple fettuccine with garlic, shrimp and butter sauce, which most seasoned cooks are probably well acquainted with. It was very quick and easy to prepare. I used the basic ingredients: EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), butter, crushed fresh garlic, finely sliced red shallots, a couple of bay leaves, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. I had intended to use fresh basil, but didn't remember until after I started cooking that I didn't have any, so I used coarsely chopped fresh tarragon instead. It was wonderful. I had also planned on grating some of the fresh Pecorino Romano I picked up this afternoon, but again, I was so hungry I completely forgot I even had it. But isn't it amazing that I somehow managed to remember to pour myself a glass of Riesling, which complemented the meal rather nicely. When I was a little girl, my mom used to say to me all the time, "Oh, you remember what you want to remember." She was right!

Overall, though, I think this little ditty went off pretty well, although I'm certain it would have been better had I not been in such a hurry. I didn't bother to write down all the quantities, etc., but I was able to find a similar recipe at one of my favourite spots. It's not exactly what I had in mind, but it's pretty close.

tags :: : : : : :

1 Comments:

At Saturday, November 12, 2005 11:55:00 AM, Anonymous Ms. B. said...

You forget your dairy? You need your calcium portions :-) Broccoli probably would have a good veggie to balance it out and get your major food groups in. I know how it is when you are famished though - you tend to take shortcuts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home