Sunday, October 23, 2005

Italian Toast, Brie de Meaux & Gewürztraminer


What a combination! I could live off of wine and cheese. Okay, maybe not the rest of my life, but perhaps for a time. Please forgive the missing piece from the Brie wedge, but as usual, I allowed myself to become so famished that before I could set up for the photo, I had eaten the tip off.


My plan for this afternoon was to try my hand at a couple of desserts: an Orange Cardamom Crème Brûlée and a Chocolate, Hazelnut & Orange Crostata (tart). Both recipes call for Grand Marnier. I have none. Needless to say, it didn't happen. I thought I could just pick up a bottle while shopping this afternoon, but I quickly learned that it's not possible to purchase anything other than wine and beer in Texas on Sundays. Being that I'm primarily a wine drinker, I had no idea. I'll try again next weekend.

The good news is that I was able to try a couple of new wines, including this delightful Gewürztraminer, served with the Brie, and a Napa Valley Merlot.


While surfing a couple of wine sites yesterday, I noticed that the only Blackstone Merlot listed was the 2002 Napa Valley. I also noticed that there is about a 65 percent price difference between it and the 2003 California version I usually drink. So, I decided to purchase a bottle of each and conduct an informal wine tasting here at home.


As a budding oenophile, I do realise that these wines are not supposed to taste the same, but quite honestly, I can discern no significant difference. Perhaps an experienced wine connoisseur with a more discriminating palate might detect a distinguishable difference, but my unrefined palate could not. I did, however, notice that there is at least a slight difference, though I am unable to articulate it properly at the moment. The best I can say is that the Napa seems a bit smoother and possesses a certain calmness, which I noticed immediately on the tip of my tongue. Other than that, they both taste great to me.

tags :: : : :

2 Comments:

At Sunday, November 06, 2005 4:13:00 PM, Anonymous Warren Houston said...

Let me be the first to leave my impressions here.

Mixed Masala is a very impressive site. Lynne, you have a very creative mind with a touch of elegance. I did not read the recipes, but just to look at the creative dishes and listening to the theme music you have placed behind it is an A1 combination. I see the quiche, looks appetizing. Lynne, you go girl.

 
At Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous Blackjack Books said...

This topic is simply matchless :), it is interesting to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home