Saturday, December 10, 2005

Back In Stride Again


Finally! Due to illness I've been on an unplanned hiatus for the past couple of weeks. My trip home for the holidays was great until the bone-chilling weather in St. Louis took its toll. I started feeling lousy on Thanksgiving Eve and by the time I headed back to Houston I had a full-blown cold. Needless to say, I was miserable. Fortunately, before I started feeling like crap my girls and I attended Ricky's (my grandson) Super Bowl game (which his team won) on the Sunday before Thanksgiving and I took a couple of photos of my boy in uniform after the game. Unfortunately, after that I felt so horrible most of the time that I didn't bother taking any more photos. I could kick myself for that now. And there was very little shopping, dining out or partying after Thanksgiving, as I spent the remainder of my time nursing my nasty cold.

The good news is that it didn't snow while I was there and I was able to spend time with most of my family (whom I hadn't seen since 2003) and a couple of dear friends I've known since first grade. Best of all, I was able to spend at least half of my time kickin' it with my son, daughter-in-law, and four awesome grandkids. My DIL, the girls and I also had a chance to have a "girls only dinner" together. We decided to let the little ones pick the spot ... and of all of the snazzy places to eat in the St. Louis area, we ended up at Ponderosa Steak House. Though it's not on my list of "hot" restaurants, for some reason little kids just go wild with excitment for this place (I think it's the unlimited desserts). In the end, it really didn't matter. My little girls totally enjoyed themselves and we all had a great time just being together, so it was all good.

With the help of my girls, Triona and Taniesha, I managed to prepare a decent Thanksgiving dinner for my son and his family. I so love cooking with kids; they're so much fun. Thank goodness my DIL (from whom I caught the cold ... thanks, Shaun!) captured bits and pieces of the day on video, parts of which turned out to be hilarious, particularly the prank we played on my oldest grandson while he slept. Priceless! Having those moments on film more than makes up for the lack of photos, so that's kool.

Other than that, there's not much else to tell. I've been home since Nov 26, but it took an entire week of rest before I started feeling well enough to do anything other than work and sleep. I actually feel pretty good now and I plan to resume cooking tomorrow. I've already been to the market today and I'm raring to go. On the way home from shopping I picked up one of my favourite items, Fresh Spring Rolls, from Kim Son. This place has great food at great prices and though it's a dine-in restaurant, it's one of my favourite go-to spots when I'm in a mood for Vietnamese takeaway.


As usual, the food was wonderful, but I learned one important lesson this evening ... Chenin Blanc and spicy peanut dipping sauce do not go well together!

tags :: : : : : : :

2 Comments:

At Monday, December 12, 2005 5:46:00 AM, Blogger Miss Rachel said...

Wonderful hearing about your holiday.

Mmm... spicy peanut sauce. Sometimes I come to your site and wish I could order take-out from it. ;-)

 
At Wednesday, December 14, 2005 7:24:00 PM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

Hey Miss Rachel!

Thanks, chica. My nasty cold notwithstanding, I managed to enjoy my family and friends, tremendously. There's no place like home!

I absolutely love spicy peanut sauce on lots of things. Takeaway from my site, huh? You're too funny, woman! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home