Monday, December 26, 2005

Thai Curry Chicken & Vegetable Soup
and The Christmas Dinner That Wasn't


I've heard it said that lightening never strikes the same place twice. Well, I don't know about lightening, but what are the odds that a person will be stricken with the same illness for back-to-back holidays? Now I was a pretty good little trooper when I stated feeling sick on Thanksgiving Eve, but now I'm beginning to feel like a fugitive from the laws of averages. Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the kitchen I come down with yet another <insert expletive here> cold sinus infection and a budding sore throat from coughing so much. I don't know if it's worse this time around, but I definitely feel like crap. Again!

Around 9 o'clock Friday evening I started feeling weird and by the time I woke up Christmas Eve morning I knew there would be no Christmas dinner from my kitchen. The strange thing is that I was in pretty good spirits until I realised that I wouldn't be able to execute my holiday plans, which my guests and I had been looking forward to all week. I politely called each party, explained the situation, offered my apologies, and proceeded to spend the next two days in bed, downing shots of lemon Theraflu and sipping cherry martinis of the Alka-Selter Plus Cold variety between naps.


Though my appetite has been a bit suppressed, I found myself craving something hot and liquidy. I managed to drag myself out of bed long enough today to make more soup, slap a couple of photos together (which turned out awful, too much flash) and write this post. This soup is an adaptation of this recipe from Epicurious. I'd like to make another pot of Hot & Sour soup later this evening, but I'm still feeling pretty sluggish at the moment, so I don't hold out much hope for that happening.


Unfortunately, many of my taste buds are fried at the moment, but from what I can tell this soup is delicious. It tastes sort of like an Asian-style, curried gumbo, actually. Imagine that! A result of my never-ending tweaking, no less. I modified the recipe quite a bit, but I don't have enough in me right now to write it all out, so that'll have to wait until I'm feeling better.


Hope you guys had a Merry Christmas. I'm certainly looking forward to a better New Year's celebration. Mos def!

tags :: : : : : : : :

4 Comments:

At Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:39:00 AM, Blogger sj-the-infamous said...

Wait...you put your Alka Seltzer Plus in a Martini glass?! I LOVE IT LOL

Happy New Year, Lynne!

 
At Friday, December 30, 2005 10:01:00 PM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

SJ...Hey now!

Yes, ma'am, I did. What can I say? That's how I like to get down. LOL The martini glass kinda makes the ASP go down a bit smoother, don't cha think?

 
At Saturday, December 31, 2005 3:27:00 PM, Blogger Jasmine said...

Love the martini glass thing...one of our VPs walked in on the 24th witha HUGE martini glass filled with Lindt truffles...*he* was the one who mentioned more appopriate uses for the glass during high-stress times :) If it were me, it would be chocci-tinis.

Hope you're feeling better now--my tum problems returned on Boxing Day thanks to some questionable back bacon...sigh.

Have a great 2006!

 
At Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:30:00 PM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

Thanks, Jasmine!

Chocci-tinis, eh? Hmmm, I'll have to try one of those.

Happy 2006 to you, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home