Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Balsamic Glazed Salmon


It's official. On Monday, I started eating low-carb and this evening I prepared my very first smart-carb dish. For the past couple of days, I've been quite busy at the office and running errands after work, which left me with neither the time nor the inclination to cook. So, for the most part, I've been eating only salads with tuna, nuts, boiled eggs and a bit of cheese. Well, as you can imagine, that got old after two days. Tonight I broke out of my rut and whipped up a quick and easy, late-night dinner (10pm), courtesy of the latest addition to my ever-growing epicurean arsenal.


My choice was the Balsamic Glazed Salmon served on a bed of mixed baby greens. Not only was this recipe easy and simple to prepare, it tasted great and took less than 30 minutes, including prepping the salmon and reducing the balsamic vinegar for the glaze. This was my first time making a sauce using the reduction technique, but it definitely will not be my last. This stuff is awesome! Its sweet, intense flavour and smooth texture make it a perfect pairing with rich salmon. I'm so excited to finally have used this technique, I can hardly wait to try it again with different ingredients.


And now, without further ado...

Balsamic Glazed Salmon
Recipe Source: The South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook, p. 139
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 12 minutes

Ingredients: (4 servings)

4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Method:

Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Season salmon with salt and pepper, place in an ovenproof baking dish and bake until opaque throughout, 10 to 12 minutes.

While fish is cooking, place vinegar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until reduced to 1/3 cup, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Place salmon on serving plates and drizzle with glaze.

Nutrition per serving: 380 calories, 21 g fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 34 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 g dietary fiber, 100 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium

tags :: : : : : :

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 5:17:00 PM, Blogger Steve Sherlock said...

Hello, the Hitchhiker Team has found you and written about Mixed Masala here: http://hgttb.blogspot.com/2006/01/mixed-masala.html

Maybe more folks will come to the table to enjoy the presentation here...

 
At Saturday, January 28, 2006 8:59:00 PM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

Hey Steve,

Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to my table. I had no idea The Hitchhiker existed. I'll have to drop by and check it out. Thanks for letting me know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home