Sunday, January 22, 2006

Reminiscing of Berries & Yoghurt


For as long as I can remember, I've adored the tarty-sweet taste of all things berry and the tangy taste of yoghurt, preferably sweetened with condensed milk. As a girl growing up in the Midwest, I had the pleasure of enjoying berries whenever I wanted, as we had fully grown mulberry and blackberry trees in the backyard of my childhood home. I remember always having an overabundance of those plump, luscious berries, so much so that I would invite my friends over to pick them to take home. There were even times when we (the goofy little kids we were) would end up covered in berry seeds and indelible juice stains from our spontaneous berry fights. Little did I know at the time what a wonderful luxury I possessed.


When I picked up the Blood oranges at the market the other day (see previous post), nostalgia overwhelmed me and I grabbed a couple of containers of fresh blackberries. Now I have no problem paying for things that I desire, particularly when they happen to be my favourite things, but I couldn't help thinking that I now have to pay a few pretty pennies for something I once took for granted.

Mint Scented Blackberry & Pistachio Yoghurt

After I made it home and started putting things away, I suddenly realised I had no idea how I would use my precious berries. Afterall, being in the early stages of carb watching, I couldn't very well make a berry tart or berry muffins or berry pancakes for dessert. Then it hit me. I had plain yoghurt, fresh mint leaves, pistachios and Splenda. Voilà! A quick and easy dessert with two of my favourite things ... together no less.

tags :: : : : : :

2 Comments:

At Sunday, January 22, 2006 6:55:00 PM, Blogger Miss Rachel said...

My mouth was watering as I read the last few entries. I especially enjoyed the orange one. :-)

 
At Saturday, January 28, 2006 8:52:00 PM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

Hey Miss Rachel,

I love the scent and flavour of all things citrus and the blood oranges are unlike anything I've ever tasted. I love 'em!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home