Sunday, February 26, 2006

A Tale of Two Fruits


Yesterday, on the final leg of my food shopping trip for the week, I happened to spot a couple of noticeably unusual fruit. Since I'm continuously looking for ways to expand my culinary horizons that won't break the bank, I decided to step outside the box and do a new thing. At the time I purchased these interesting looking oddities I had no idea how they would taste, so I only bought one of each.


Luckily for me, I picked two that were at a nice stage of ripeness which allowed me to taste them straight away. The reality of their tastes was far from my expectations (as if I should have expectations about something I've never tried). To my surprise, I found that they are as different as night and day. I suppose the contrast in their appearance, which for some reason brings to mind "Beauty and the Beast," should have been a bit of a clue, but in reverse. I won't go into elaborate descriptions, but you can learn details of the Kiwano here and the Cherimoya here.

Kiwano aka African Horn Melon

Based on my research, I expected this fruit, originally grown in Africa (and now in New Zealand and other places), to be extremely bitter and very unpleasant. In actuality, I found its vibrant green inner flesh to be slightly sweet (very slightly) and not at all as tangy or tart as I had read. But as described, when ripe this oddly beautiful fruit is extremely soft and quite juicy. Though I've read that it tastes like a mix of lemon and banana, I found its very mild flavour to be more like a cross between a cucumber (not surprising since its a member of the gourd family, specifically cucumber) and a kiwi. At the moment, I have no idea what I will do with it, but I do know that I must do it soon.

The Delicious Cherimoya

True to the descriptions I read, the white, creamy flesh of the Cherimoya tastes of pineapple, papaya, passion fruit, banana, mango and lemon at once. Unlike the African Horn Melon, this pleasant tasting, delicate fruit, also grown organically in New Zealand, has an undeniable sweetness that makes it perfect for eating on its own. The downside is that within 10 minutes of cutting it open it had already began to show signs of oxidation, which means I may not have enough time to do anything other than eat it as is. The good news is that it tastes so good that I can easily do that with pleasure. I guess I could dip it in fresh lemon juice to retard oxidation, but since I only have one, I don't think I'll bother.

Okay, I'm off to listen to some def poetry and do some real cookin'!

tags :: : : : : : :

3 Comments:

At Thursday, March 02, 2006 9:11:00 AM, Anonymous ham said...

Looks like I'm gonna have to get out of the box and try these for myself. Keep up the good work and keep those recipies coming baby girl(smile).

HAM

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2006 12:14:00 AM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

Yeah, I think you need to get with the programme, my brutha. LOL I've decided to just branch out and see what happens, and I'm having a ball in the process.

Glad you're enjoying the recipes. There's much more to come. Mos def!

 
At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:38:00 AM, Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Mmmm... Cherimoya is one of my favorites. They're rather common in Spain but in Italy, I've never seen them. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home