Sunday, February 19, 2006

You Are What You Eat - A Food Meme


I was tagged for this You Are What You Eat Meme by Marc of Mental Masala (thanks, Marc!). This is my very first, actually, so I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to do this. Rather than repost images from previous entries, I've provided links to them instead. Here goes:

My 10 favourite foods (at the moment) in no particular order, are:

Masala Chai - As it happens, I made some just last night. This is the best tea I've ever had in my entire life. For me to attempt to describe it would be futile. It's one of those things you have to experience for yourself to understand. The best I can say is that the unique ingredients that are Masala Chai coalesce into a supremely piquant flavour that lingers on the tongue like an extended, passionate kiss. There's nothing quite like it on earth!

Biscotti - I also made a chocolate-orange version of these last night to go with my Masala Chai. For me, few things are more pleasurable than well-made biscotti dipped in a good Masala Chai. It's my adult equivalent of dunking cookies in milk. Though the ones I made are fabulous, the traditional anise biscotti are wonderful, too. There are just too many variations to name, but I think hazelnut is probably my overall favourite.

Spring Rolls - The Vietnamese variety with spicy peanut sauce. I love the textures of the rice paper and vermicelli and the way the cilantro blends with the shrimp to create that one-of-a-kind taste. I've been eating these for over 20 years and to my knowledge, there is absolutely no substitute. Whenever I feel daring enough to make my own, in addition to the usual ingredients, I add lots and lots of cilantro and thinly sliced red onions to the spring rolls and a very generous amount of Sriracha hot chili sauce (I always keep a supply on hand) and a bit of molasses to my version of the peanut sauce. Mmmm, yummy!

Fish and Seafood - I'm fond of nearly all fish and seafood, but I especially fancy salmon, shark, talapia, mahi mahi, shrimp, scallops, lobster and crab. Whether they're baked, broiled, sauteed or fried doesn't matter, as long as they're full of flavour.

Italian Sausage - The bold spices and herbs used to season Italian sausage make it one of my faves. I usually keep some on hand, as I've learned to use it in more dishes than I can name, including pasta, quiches, stuffed peppers, omelets, soups and stews.

Salsa - I like most hot sauces, but there's something about a hot and spicy salsa that just does it for me, like the Peach Chipotle Salsa I made a couple of weeks ago. The more onions and peppers, the better!

Curry - While I love all things curry, Thai and Indian dishes are my first choices. Thai Curry Chicken & Shrimp Soup and Saag Gosht with Spicy Basmati Rice are my current favourites. I love curry so much, I even developed my own private Curried Tuna Salad recipe. Imagine that! And it's definitely not your average tuna salad. It may sound strange, but a couple of curry lovers I know tasted a sample and loved it immediately. Perhaps I'll share the recipe some day.

Pasta/Noodles - Though I don't eat them as often as I'd like, I enjoy a wide variety of pasta and noodles. I made linguini with red sauce for lunch today, actually. My favourites are fettuccine with shrimp in garlic butter sauce and stir fried beef with broccoli over soba noodles.

Roasted Vegetables - My faves are red, yellow and green peppers, red onions, garlic, eggplant, artichokes, asparagus, tomatoes and squash.

Fruity Yoghurt - Especially with berries, oranges, mango and melons.

To continue this meme, I'm tagging The Cardamom Addict, Miss Rachel and anyone else who feels so inclined.

tags :: : : :

11 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 11:52:00 PM, Blogger strawberry said...

It's my first time visit here,
and I love your banner!
Simple and elegant.
Keep it up!
I wish I could make one too =)

 
At Saturday, February 25, 2006 1:32:00 PM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

Hey Strawberry!

What a cool moniker! Thank you, ma'am. The masthead really wasn't that hard to make. I'm sure with a little effort you can certainly do one, too. If you need help, let me know. I'll be more than happy to assist.

Thanks for letting me know you stopped by. You're welcome here anytime so please don't be a stranger. :o)

 
At Monday, February 27, 2006 5:59:00 PM, Blogger Jasmine said...

Oh my goodness!

How did I miss being tagged?! And on a food-related meme too!

I've got a couple of things due this week, but I'll get it done as soon as I can.

argh!
j

 
At Friday, March 03, 2006 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Marc said...

Lynne,
Thanks for the great post of your 10 favs. The new banner is stunning!

For your next Thai cooking adventure, here is a List of markets with Thai ingredients, provided by an Oakland, CA based teacher of Thai cooking. Perhaps one is close to you.

 
At Saturday, March 04, 2006 12:06:00 AM, Anonymous Mixed Masala said...

Hey Jasmine,

Girl, I don't know how you missed being tagged (I also left a message on your blog), but I'm looking forward to reading your list.

Hi Marc,

You're quite welcome. I enjoyed doing this meme. I'm glad you thought of me. Thanks for the compliment on the banner. I just had fun with that strange fruit! HA!

And thanks for the link. Thai is one of my favourite things, so I will definitely check it out.

 
At Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:42:00 AM, Blogger sj-the-infamous said...

Oh, I've got some catching UP to do! I await the relaunch of DivaFlava, but in the meantime I am gonna do this meme....and those scallops looked divine! Oh, I am so hungry LOLOL

Take care sis -- Morena

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 3:23:00 PM, Anonymous healthcare said...

http://www.healthcare.net.in

Health care or healthcare is the prevention, treatment, and management of illness
and the preservation of mental and physical well-being through the services offered
by the medical, nursing, and allied health professions.[1] The organised provision of
such services may constitute a health care system

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 3:24:00 PM, Anonymous Women said...

http://www.women1.org/

a woman, or the feminine in men and women, seeks to share deep awareness of the world
in a sacralized communion. the presence of soft candle light, wild flowers, and the
rituals of dressing for the occasion are simply metaphors acknowledged and “lived out”
in honor of the moment. in honor of life. in honor of shared awareness of the infinite
in a moment.

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 3:25:00 PM, Anonymous clickpoint said...

http://www.clickpoint.org

FREE stand-alone on-screen virtual mouse designed for anyone with a disability
that makes it difficult or impossible to click a physical computer mouse. As long as
they can move a mouse, trackball or other pointing device,
they can send mouse clicks to virtually any Windows application or DOS application that
can run within a window and even many that are full screen

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 3:26:00 PM, Anonymous health said...

http://www.health.ind.in

Health is the functional and/or metabolic efficiency of an organism,
at any moment in time, at both the cellular and global levels.
All individual organisms, from the simplest to the most complex,
vary between optimum health and zero health

 
At Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:27:00 AM, Anonymous Strip Poker said...

What curious question

 

Post a Comment

<< Home